Long Path Win 10 (1607)

• Last Post 28 October 2016
adriaoramos posted this 28 October 2016

Good afternoon
I am using Windows 10 1607 and connecting to a shared folder that has long paths
I enabled the option "Enable Win 32 Long paths", But I continue receiving long path error when I try to access many folders
Those files don't have the "security" tab and even if I change the owner or force acls I can see Security and cant open those files.
What can I do? Can you help me?

LEGAL ADVICE This message is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential and/or under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Anthony.Vandenbossche posted this 28 October 2016

Hi,

I’m not sure if it’s the same thing as “Enable Win32 Long…” but the 8dot2 notation might help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/121007

HOWEVER: I would recommend restructuring your file server, so that unc paths remain less lengthy. Probably renaming files or relocating files is not possible anymore because of

the length issue, consider sharing a folder lower in the tree so the unc path length is reduced (temp solution!).

Kr,

ANTHONY VAN DEN BOSSCHE

System Engineer

Hybrid Cloud

You can mail me

anthony.vandenbossche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Call me at my UC number +32 2 801 54 59

RD Portal

www.realdolmen.com

This e-mail message and any attachment are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information which is confidential and/or protected

by intellectual property rights. Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone (+32 2 801 55 55) or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer. Please note that neither Realdolmen nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility

to scan or otherwise check this e-mail and any attachments.  Realdolmen is responsible neither for the correct and complete transfer of the contents of the sent e-mail, nor for the receipt on due time.

Think green, keep it on your screen

show

Anthony.Vandenbossche posted this 28 October 2016

Part 2: 8dot3 will only kick into action when a new volume is created, so simply enabling 8dot3 will not do the trick..

ANTHONY VAN DEN BOSSCHE

System Engineer

Hybrid Cloud

You can mail me

anthony.vandenbossche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Call me at my UC number +32 2 801 54 59

or on my mobile +32 476 83 80 23

RD Portal

www.realdolmen.com

This e-mail message and any attachment are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information which is confidential and/or protected

by intellectual property rights. Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone (+32 2 801 55 55) or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer. Please note that neither Realdolmen nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility

to scan or otherwise check this e-mail and any attachments.  Realdolmen is responsible neither for the correct and complete transfer of the contents of the sent e-mail, nor for the receipt on due time.

Think green, keep it on your screen

show

g4ugm posted this 28 October 2016

Not too sure what's going on, but I have ended up creating shares deep into folder trees to allow me to access files.

show

Close