New Windows Update Domain Controller 2008 R2 : error collecting data for Administrative Templates

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 September 2015
Alix posted this 14 September 2015

Hi everyone,
Last week, Microsoft has released some update concerning Windows Server 2008 R2.Precision : Our Operating System are in french.
After these updates (and I suspect that the error comes from KB3074550), on all of the Domain Controller (we have 2 Active Directory production and one for test and 3 Domain Controller in each), there is now an error with the GPO : Collecting data for Administrative Templates :(just to insist, the OS are in french) :Une erreur s’est produite lors de la lecture des données pour Modèles d’administration.
Les erreurs suivantes se sont produites :

La ressource « $(string.SiteDiscoveryEnableWMI) » référencée dans l’attribut displayName est introuvable. Fichier C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, ligne 34686, colonne 235I think it could be translated in English by :An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates. The following errors were encountered: Resource ‘$(string.SiteDiscoveryEnableWMI)’ referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 34686, column 235

After googling, it seems that the solution could be simple :
Download the Administrative Templates from Microsoft’s website – http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=41193
Extract the files on your domain controller in C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\Policies folder (it will create a folder called PolicyDefinitions)
Nevertheless, I woul really appreciate your comments on this situation before doing this operation.
Thanks in advance !
Alix

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gkirkpatrick posted this 14 September 2015

My first thought that there was some sort of additional resource file that needed to be downloaded. I would download the templates,

save the old inetres.admx file, replace it with the new one, and see how the system behaves. Worst case, you can restore the old admx file. But I’m pretty sure updating that file will solve the error message.

-gil

show

darren posted this 14 September 2015

Gil’s right with the qualification that I would simply replace

both the interes.admx and inetres.adml (should be under the fr-fr folder on a French system) with the new version from the download. That said, the instruction below:

Extract the files on your domain controller in C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\Policies folder (it will create a folder called PolicyDefinitions)

Is only necessary if you are using the “Central Store” instead of referencing your ADMX/ADML locally under c:\windows\policydefinitions. So, I would create

a central store unless you want to (I personally don’t like it but some do).

Darren

show

Alix posted this 15 September 2015

I am really not an expert so I have read about these files and checked what is wrong on our servers.The date of the current inetres.admx is 3 of august 2015The date of the english inetres.adml is 18 of august 2015 andthe date of the french inetres.adml is 1 of june...So it seems that the fault is in the inetres.adml french.
This is confirmed by the fact that the $(string.SiteDiscoveryEnableWMI) is present in the inetres.admx and in the inetres.adml english but is missing in the inetres.adml french.
Our servers have the same WSUS intranet server and I think there was something wrong with it. And it seems that no one else has reported such a problem with the french file.
We will just download from the links Gil has given and change the interes.admx and inetres.adml (english and french).
Thank you very much
Alix
2015-09-14 16:35 GMT+02:00 Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

both the interes.admx and inetres.adml (should be under the fr-fr folder on a French system) with the new version from the download. That said, the instruction below:

Is only necessary if you are using the “Central Store” instead of referencing your ADMX/ADML locally under c:\windows\policydefinitions. So, I would create

Darren

show

Alix posted this 18 September 2015

Hi everyone,
For information : the problem I have described seems to be the same for all Windows 7 64bits and 2008 R2 (and possibly other OS) french version (and possibly german, italian, japanese). I have tested at home and in other office than mine.
Alix
2015-09-15 16:51 GMT+02:00 Alix Henrotte <alix.henrotte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I am really not an expert so I have read about these files and checked what is wrong on our servers.The date of the current inetres.admx is 3 of august 2015The date of the english inetres.adml is 18 of august 2015 andthe date of the french inetres.adml is 1 of june...So it seems that the fault is in the inetres.adml french.
This is confirmed by the fact that the $(string.SiteDiscoveryEnableWMI) is present in the inetres.admx and in the inetres.adml english but is missing in the inetres.adml french.
Our servers have the same WSUS intranet server and I think there was something wrong with it. And it seems that no one else has reported such a problem with the french file.
We will just download from the links Gil has given and change the interes.admx and inetres.adml (english and french).
Thank you very much
Alix
2015-09-14 16:35 GMT+02:00 Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Darren

show

darren posted this 18 September 2015

There have been quite a few localization issues with ADMX templates in the past. Some of the German Group Policy MVPs have complained bitterly about this and

I would suggest running it up your local MS office as well. This won’t get better unless folks complain enough.

Darren

show

Close