Very OT: Win 10 Powershell Get-Help slowness...

• Last Post 08 August 2015
gkirkpatrick posted this 07 August 2015

Greetings all,   Just finished upgrading my desktop machine to Win 10 (as opposed to fresh installs on my other machines). The upgrade generally went ok modulo needing to download the latest Nvidia drivers.   BUT… in a PowerShell window, if I run Get-Help on a non-existent command, say “Get-Help foo”, the command takes maybe 10 minutes to complete. After about 2 minutes it shows the “Searching…” progress bar. The process consumes about 20% of the CPU and doesn’t seem to be generating any network traffic. My other machines don’t have this behaviour. I have run Update-Help a couple of times, which completed normally.   Any ideas?   -g

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
michael1 posted this 07 August 2015

This is a known issue.

Help now searches all module subfolders and touches every single file. The more modules you have installed, the worse the behavior becomes.

A future update is intended to address this issue.

show

gkirkpatrick posted this 07 August 2015

Thanks Michael! It’s nice to have a community of informed technologists to ask questions of…

-gil

show

ourkid posted this 07 August 2015

Wow! Congrats to you for upgrading to Windows 10 so early. We're nowhere near ready. Let's hope you crazy early adopters find and fix the bugs for the rest of us ;-)

show

robertsingers posted this 08 August 2015

Just a tip, if you're upgrading a OEM version of Windows 7, the
activation key isn't the sticker on the outside of the machine :-(

show

ken posted this 08 August 2015

Why do even need an activation key if upgrading an existing install?

show

michael1 posted this 08 August 2015

I've been told that for Home/Pro, your computer should acquire an activation key from the Windows Store within 24 hours.

show

ken posted this 08 August 2015

Yeah - as long as you have an internet connection, a new activation key is generated post-Win 10 upgrade. You shouldn't need your Windows 7 activation key at any step in the process (assuming OEM). A subsequent clean install of Windows 10 uses the new activation key, not the old Win 7 one.

show

gkirkpatrick posted this 08 August 2015

I’ve been running Win10 on one box or another since February I think… it’s been pretty solid I have to say.

Installing it on my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet was a hassle though … the touch drivers aren’t in WinPE … I had to build a new install

image with the Win8 touch to get the thing going.

-g

show

mctbill posted this 08 August 2015

Gil, Thanks for the heads up on the Dell Venue 8 Pro drivers, I am going to upgrade mine next weekend. Bill 

show

robertsingers posted this 08 August 2015

Yeah you need to do an in place upgrade, you can't do a clean install.
Another tip if you restore a Dell to a factory image before upgrading
it, uninstall all of the Dell software and driver packages before the
upgrade, especially the face recognition software.

show

gkirkpatrick posted this 08 August 2015

I used NTLite

https://www.ntlite.com/

to prep the image and then did a fresh install.

The other approach is just to upgrade. I did that on my other Venue 8 Pro and it worked fine as well.

-gil

show

Close